Thursday, May 29, 2008

September 22, 1611

Lachine Rapids


I have come back again on an expedition to New France but this time to settle where Jacques Cartier had claimed previously 75 years before. Mont Real is the place where I found a new site for another settlement. I call it La Place Royale because the view we have here is simply astounding. It is on an island I have named Sainte-Hélène after my gorgeous wife that is built around a mountain bountiful with trees around it and it is near both the St Lawrence and Ottawa rivers. After having united my fur trading monopolies in the St Lawrence River area, I decided to return to New France. I established a new settlement for France, in the hopes that I may be rewarded with honor and pride. There are far more people here than then were at Habitation, and I pray that most of them and my crew will not die this time. That way, this could grow into a permanent settlement for France.
The French and the Iroquois peace treaty has been to my advantage lately. My fur trading post is quite successful due to the natives. They do much business with me and help me to earn quite a portion of my daily profits. I am hoping all goes well from now on.
Natives on Ottawa River

No comments: