Thursday, May 29, 2008

June 14, 1599



-Vera Cruz map by Champlain




My excitement on this ship had greatly worn off, after spending many months sailing to reach this destination. The waves caused a few men seasickness, and the novelty of the beauteous art of sailing is long gone. My crewmen and I were exuberant to set foot on this land called Vera Cruz. It is the loveliest of all the places I have ever seen. The green leaves of the trees flow upland, and the land beyond is mountainous. Vera Cruz is quite humid and warm, which is strange for us, as we are used to cooler temperatures in the summer then this. It looked as though a hurricane had just passed, and I shuddered at the thought of running into such disastrous weather here. I knew it was worth it for me though; I am an explorer, and I am the one that can bring fame and glory to France. Just as my uncle, a pilot general for Spain had done, I can receive glory and honor. My crewmen feel the same way, they are all young lads looking for excitement and who hold much pride. I will sleep tonight, and depart to fulfill my dream to bring honor to my country tomorrow.


No comments: