Thursday, May 29, 2008

February 28, 1606


King Henry IV

I cannot believe the luck I have encountered on this voyage. I did not know what to think when good king Henry IV asked me (yes, me personally!) to report on more of my discoveries. Pierre Duga, Sieur de Monts led us to New France in the spring of the year before last. He is also very skilled in the art of fur trading and was given a monopoly by Henry IV. We soon reached the Bay of Fundy and created a settlement called Saint Croix Island. The winter weather became more than even we could handle, the wind biting at our heels and snowstorms raining God’s tears. We soon had to leave and in the spring we came to Nova Scotia at Port Royal. This is our new home, and the fur trading is simply growing in profit. Nova Scotia is most definitely a new economic center in this new land, and I feel rewarded for all of my efforts. I think I shall go and take a stroll now, I will write about this excitement more later.

No comments: