Thursday, May 29, 2008

November 24, 1608



Champlain arriving at Quebec

These conditions in Quebec have been hard to handle, much worse then on the ship. The Don-de-Dieu, as much as I loved that beautiful ship I commanded, had become a source of headaches for me. The crewmen did not listen well and the ship had become dirty and disgusting. The poop deck reeked and the ship began to smell from the bow to the stern. I thought for sure we would die of sickness from the scurvy on the ship, but we have survived this far. However, now many people have been dying from awful diseases including smallpox as well as scurvy. This is making everything much harder and the fort has been growing so slowly so I really do not know how we are all going to survive. I have been so upset recently because of all of this and I don’t know how this fort is going to hold up anymore. The weather here has been brutal, and I cannot even make it to work on this city some days. I suppose I should visit my men to make sure they are in better health then before.

Drawing of Habitation by Champlain

No comments: