Thursday, May 29, 2008

August 12, 1599

Panama Isthmus


I have the utmost respect for my uncle, who I find to be incredible. What my uncle has been doing for his life has been my dream since I’ve been a young boy. He is the pilot general of the Spanish fleets, and he gave me the opportunity to fulfill my own dream. I am commanding the St Julien. It was such a stunning ship; I could not believe my uncle was allowing me to lead the expedition. When we first landed at Vera Cruz and went far into this huge land mass that had yet to be claimed, it was an unbelievable sight. When we arrived at Panama from the southeast, I just could not believe that there was such a thin strip of land between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. There, I had the most incredible idea that had just come upon me. I proposed that we create a ship canal across the isthmus to get across to the other oceans. It is my hope that everyone will consider my idea, because I think it is an ingenious idea that will save time and make other voyages much easier.

Champlain's Idea-to sail through Panama's Isthmus--

No comments: