Thursday, May 29, 2008

June 12, 1603

-Fur Trade in Quebec


This voyage with François Gravé Du Pont has been difficult, as I feel quite unappreciated on this ship. As I have no official assignment, I am treated as unimportant. However I know they will soon start to realize my importance and potential as we reach the St. Lawrence River and they will need my help to establish fur trading. I am the master of economy

and furs and know I will be of great assistance in that area. This is why I joined the expedition: I knew my knowledge of furs and trading could bring me money in this new country. I also pray I will have the opportunity to create some well-detailed maps of the river. This will make it easier to plan trading expeditions and future voyages. So far, however, all we have seen is water, and we have a large distance to go as I am told. ’Tis time for supper, but I will continue to hope for land soon.

Bever hats became very popular, increased fur trade

No comments: